Meadows around the Beltway

  You can call it whichever name you like-New Perennial Movement, Meadow Garden, Naturalistic Gardening , Prairie Garden, Matrix Planting ..all names that have been introduced by writers or designers at one time or another. No matter which moniker you use these types of gardens can be seen in some form all over the US. They may not all be exactly the same thing but the differences are subtle.Typically you will see pollinator plants, grasses and plants left in place over winter to attract birds and provide a structured view once dieback has set in.  Go to the Highline, the Lurie Garden, Chanticleer, any number of John Greenlee or James Van Swedens' gardens and you will see some version of this genre. I admit that I am attracted to these gardens and have tried to replicate them in my own with limited success-by their nature they are best executed in large spaces with views to the beyond, unlike my demure tract home lot  surrounded by the ubiquitous redwood fence. And yet, it's not impossible to pull it off in a small garden; I blogged about Scotts' wonderful garden in  PDX here; the garden that convinced me that all was not lost.

 This past summer (can summer really be past already ?) I attended Garden Bloggers Fling in the Capitol Region, the annual get together of garden bloggers coast to coast and beyond . There were a few meadowy gardens to be seen , along with the typical lush green abundance that defines the east coast in summer.


 At the Smithsonian on the National Mall a bit of prairie frames the view. The prairie is decidedly American and it seems appropriate to include this environment in a venue that is visited by people from all over the world.




The garden of designer Debbie Friedman  great example of meadowing-up a suburban lot in a neighborhood of traditional homes with somewhat  mundane landscaping. I hope her neighbors are appreciative !



 We had lunch here at  Meadowlark Gardens where the pursuit of pollinators was a theme.Unfortunately I had some badly over exposed photos here so most were deleted . Please be sure to check out other bloggers posts from this garden .




The wonderful garden of  horticultural icon Peggy Bier had 2 meadows-one street side to greet visitors and one along the outside perimeter bordering the back gardens of neighbors.








And of course the garden of our indomitable Lead  Flingstress Tammy, a pollinators'  luxury resort.


 Tammys' containers (and there are many) are staged here to meld seamlessly into the garden.



 Garden tour season is coming to a close. I still have a couple on the agenda for October, and am starting to develop travel plans for spring. And incidentally, gardeners should rule the world. What a different place it would be.

Comments

  1. Gardeners should rule the world. Why yes, yes they should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's why the mythical Eden was a garden !Once they got evicted, there went the neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, that photo from Medowlark is a view I did not see, lovely. And yes power to the gardeners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You took plenty of photos I didn't see as well. It's fun to compare notes.

      Delete
  3. How much more peaceful - and kind - the world would be if gardeners ruled the world! I find myself increasingly attracted to meadow-like landscapes with lots of ornamental grasses and punches of wispy color. Whether I'm too much of a collector to realize that vision in my own garden is the question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah yes, the collecting thing. Once again I find myself ripping things out right and left already this fall. It's the only way I get more room !

      Delete
  4. I agree about gardeners ruling the world. It would be a prettier place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Huntington is doing the meadow thing too, to great effect. The butterflies sure approved, as did I, but it seems to me that even if a vast space is not an absolute requirement, a good amount of rain or irrigation is. There's the rub.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A New Focal Point !

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

Arty Garden